debnance

debnance

The Light Between Oceans

The Light Between Oceans - Ml Stedman This is a sad, sad story. I was pretty sure it was going to be a sad, sad story when I saw it on the list of recommended books in the August issue of Oprah magazine. Oprah doesn’t really do happy.But this is sad. Very sad.Here’s the plot: World War I is over and Tom Sherbourne is coming home. He’s seen death and now he wants some peace. He finds a job as a lighthouse keeper on a small deserted island and soon finds a lovely wife to come with him. All seems as if life will now be different for Tom, but then his wife, Isabel, loses three babies, all born too soon.One night a boat appears on the shore of the island. On the boat are a dead man and a crying infant. An answered prayer?That is what Isabel thinks, and she convinces Tom to bury the dead man and keep the baby girl.You know this is not going to be a good idea, don’t you? It’s a powerful story, full of the miseries of this life, but also full of the stark beauty that comes out of facing the truth of the miseries.