debnance

debnance

The Beginner's Goodbye

The Beginner's Goodbye - Anne Tyler I almost decided I didn't want to finish it. I agreed to be part of a bookray for this book. I was a fourth of the way into the story and I wasn't interested at all. I didn't care about the characters, I realized; I'll just close the book and send the book on to the next reader.Only there was no sending the book on. I was the last reader and theinstructions specified that the last reader was to keep the book and passit on as she wished.It just didn't seem respectful to pass on a book that I didn't like enoughto finish. What to do? What to do?So it was with great reluctance that I read on.And I warmed to the story, slowly, slowly, with every page read starting tolike the story more. As I read on, I could feel the Anne Tyler-ness of thestory start to build, the loneliness of the characters, the quirkiness ofthe characters, and the way the characters finally were able to overcometheir loneliness and quirkiness by finding other lonely, quirky people tolove.And, in the end, I liked it very much. A satisfying read. Not my favorite Anne Tyler, but a satisfying read.