debnance

debnance

Radioactive: Marie and Pierre Curie - A Tale of Love and Fallout

Radioactive: Marie and Pierre Curie, A Tale of Love and Fallout - Lauren Redniss When I was in second grade, I was bored and my teacher did what all good teachers do when they have students who are bored in class: she assigned me a research project.My research project was on Marie and Pierre Curie.Here I was, seven years old, reading about radiation and atomic particles and nuclear energy. I was fascinated, even if I didn’t quite get everything I read.The minute I saw this book, I knew it was a book that I had to read. If nothing else, I wanted to see if I understood radiation and atomic particles and nuclear energy any better this side of life.Even though this book was a National Book Award Finalist, I could not find it at any of the seven libraries to which I have cards. I finally broke down and bought it.It was a worthwhile purchase. I’d classify it as a graphic novel, a picture book for grownups, with brilliant illustrations that add to the text. Lauren Redniss, who wrote the text and created the illustrations, tells the story of Marie and Pierre Curie, a story of the power and destruction that came with the discovery of radiation. One of my favorite reads of this year.